Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Firehouse (II)

Being a Friday night, we actually made a booking at Firehouse.  ET had wanted to visit the bar beforehand but we took an unintended detour before getting there and ended up arriving right on time.  Since our table was actually ready and we were quite hungry, it looks as if the bar will have to wait until next time.

We were seated in the small room off the main one.  I would dearly have loved to sit by the window but unfortunately that table was already taken by the time we got there. And, incidentally, they were still happily drinking from their carafe by the time we left.

But anyhow, lucky I had already started this blog or I wouldn't have been able to answer ET's questions about what we ate last time we were here.  This time ET was eyeing the omelette and the chickpea churros had me sold.

The omelette, sadly to say, was quite bland.  Both ET and I put seasoning on it.  :(   The churros, however, was a real winner.  ET seemed quite surprised that he enjoyed the unusual choice.  He thought the taste was quite mild but matched well with the aioli - a good dish to have as an entree.

For main I went for parpadelle with beef ragu.  Beef in the dish had quite a strong flavour but eaten with the sheets of pasta (they looked more like sheets to me, not wide strips of pasta) meant it wasn't over-powering.  I wasn't quite sure about the pine nuts in the dish though.  And the cut of meat had a little too much fat on it for my liking.

The porterhouse, much to my surprise was requested by ET as medium rare.  He said they did a good job on it.  Although we weren't quite sure what they were trying to achieve with those sad looking peas.  Judge for yourself --

For me, the chickpea churros is definitely enough to bring me back.  It may be a little crumbly, but the aioli had a strong garlic taste which I surprisingly enjoyed, and smothered all over the churros.  Yum!


The Firehouse
253 Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood

No comments:

Post a Comment