Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Firehouse (III)

Fantastic.  It seemed that was ET's comment of the night.  From the taramasalata & tatziki dip with warm bread to his (second) wine and my atlantic salmon dish.  Admittedly his first wine was a little too sweet for his liking.  And although his steak was good, he thought perhaps he should not have ordered it to be rare.  But that, my friends, was his mistake.



 (Here's another shot of my salmon below, just cos I like the photo!)

We noticed The Firehouse has updated its menu since our last visit.  Presumably this is to go with the change in weather.  Happily they still had the chickpea churros we loved last time.  But we decided on the bread and dips this time.

Water wellness though, wasn't up to scratch.  I saw them take a bottle from a windowsill, which is where they seem to keep an assortment of items.  Then the waitress proceeded to pour water into our glasses, holding the bottle at the bottom and pouring as if it were wine.  Which probably would've been better since the water was room temperature.  But I prefer cool, if not chilled, water.

ET did make mention afterwards that The Firehouse is not by any means cheap.  And even though we booked (for a change!) we were seated next to a door in the back room, a room that he believes lacks ambiance; so ET didn't feel as if we were dining in a nice restaurant.  Which is a pity considering the waitstaff weren't bad.  At one stage the straw fell out of my glass as it was being served.  And, much to my amusement, the waitress returned with a straw placed on top of a serviette on a saucer!  I almost laughed from the absurdity of it!

And one final thing.  As our mains were served I did my usual preening and photo-taking.  One of the waitstaff came over and asked how everything was.  I told her we hadn't tasted anything yet and she said she noticed me taking photos and wanted to ensure there was nothing wrong.  After telling her it all looked great and that's the reason why I was taking photos, she left us to it.  I wonder if I should've said I have a blog in the hopes they'll remember us and be extra nice next time we come and visit.  After all, I'm sure there'll be a next time...


The Firehouse
253 Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood

No comments:

Post a Comment