Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Firehouse (IV)

Back again, you may ask.  Yep.  This time an early dinner was booked and I thought we should try more  tapas/share dishes.  Although ET wasn't so keen on the polenta with green beans, he was kind enough to order it to appease me.  And just as well - because he thought it delicious!

We both loved the braised chicken's nice color and taste. 

ET thought the whitebait "interesting".  For me, it wasn't crispy enough and tasted a little more fishy than I thought it should.

However overall ET thought we chose a great combination of flavours for entree.

For mains I opted for mussels; one of Firehouse's medium dishes.  This was just the perfect size considering our somewhat gluttonous start.  The mussels were nice, not at all chewy and I liked the dollops of butter which melted into the dish.  Although by the end of it I had a bowl full of soup (for lack of a better word) which probably could've been mopped up with crusty bread if they hadn't served the dish with just one thin piece of turkish bread :(

ET went for the 8 hour slow cooked lamb.  There was an unidentifiable mash under the lamb (see photo below) but the dish had plenty of bold but complementing flavours which he really enjoyed.

Which brings me to our waiter for the night.  He seemed really knowledgeable and explained on ordering that the lamb would be a piece of neck and that, indeed, the dish would have strong flavours.  He also enquired how I liked the warm turkish apple cocktail I ordered.  Apparently I was the first one to ever order it!  I'm not sure I liked being the guinea pig.  But the drink was not for me.  I liked the candied apple garnish better!

ET also noticed the waiter's interactions with other diners and couldn't help but be impressed by his passion.  His attitude alone could've given any place a thumbs up.  This, coupled with the great food, made for a very good enjoyable night out for us.


The Firehouse
253 Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood

No comments:

Post a Comment