Saturday, May 22, 2010

Smoken Joe’s Cafe

Walking into Smoken Joe's Ringwood, the first thing we noticed was its large size and colorful setting.  It has that American diner-style setting.  There’s even a lounge/bar area and because the place is fully licenced, ET thinks this might be a good place to have a function.  Although I think it might get a bit loud if you have a raucous party.  Since we were there for a weekend lunch, we didn’t have to put up with any of that.

To begin with, I have two things I must make special mention about their rather large menu – you have to check out their “gourmet” pizzas.  To ET & I, they sounded more like “weird” pizzas.  As in: Nacho pizza, anyone? :s   Kudos, however, for having something called a "Big Ass Breakfast" on the menu.  I kid you not!

Anyway, after going through the menu, I was tossing up between two dishes and ended up with the lasagna.  Which was a bit of a disappointment.  Although there was plenty of mince in the bolognese, it was actually quite dry and I would’ve preferred more sauce.  Also, the pasta was quite chewy in some parts.

The dish I passed on was the French Farmhouse Chicken because ET had decided on it while I was still tossing up my choices.  Anyhow he fared better that I did but he did mention the sauce was a little over the top.  You can see it drowning the chicken in the photo below.  
Nevertheless ET said the coffee was nice (which is always a bonus) and we have no complaints about the wait staff.  Although ET said the woman behind at the register was a bit weird.  I didn’t notice anything because I was too busy taking photos.  But may be that’s why she was acting weird – she was suspicious of me taking a picture of the lounge area!
But the best bit (at least for me, anyhow) is we got to sit at a booth – the kind where you sit across from each other and no one’s stuck on an uncomfortable chair while the other is on an either too high or too low bench.  This one was a real, proper booth.  And who doesn’t love a booth! :)


Smoken Joe's Cafe
305 Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood 

No comments:

Post a Comment