Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sofia Croydon

To be honest, we were headed for the restaurant across the driveway but they seemed pretty full and ET thought Sofia had a better looking setup as we drove by.  I had also heard this place had large servings (which I thought was a huge bonus since I was starving).  And seeing the huge piles of pasta being delivered to the tables around us, and the fact most people left carrying take-away containers of uneaten food, they weren’t wrong.

ET ordered the minestrone soup to start with.  The soup was almost spilling out of the bowl and it looked a little watery to me; ET’s verdict was just an "okay".
The herb bread I ordered was doused in the stuff.  ET thought I should have ordered it with cheese and not just plain herb and he may have been right.  I literally had to scrape the herb off the bread – there was just way too much dry herbs.

The small lasagna I ordered for main was a little bland in the middle.  Or perhaps there was just not enough sauce.  I counted 6 sheets of pasta without much sauce between them :(

ET’s rare steak was cooked to order.  And although it wasn’t great, ET certainly wasn’t complaining about the size.

Sofia Croydon is a huge restaurant and was mostly empty when we were there for an early dinner on a weekend.  There was mostly large tables setup so perhaps they were expecting larger parties later on that night.  Et commented there were more staff than tables with customers.

Staff were relatively good, asking upon picking up our empty entrĂ©e plates if we were ready for mains or if they should tell the kitchen to wait.  But it was a little strange that two of them came up separately to ask us how the mains were within the space of 2 minutes when we were close to finishing.  And one of them even asked if I’d like to take the small piece of lasagna home for take-away. Was a nice offer but I still had my cutlery crossed over on the plate, as I had not quite finished eating yet.  And just one last thing – ET’s words when referring to the lemonade I ordered: “Straw in a can?”  It’s just not a restaurant thing to do, is it?


Sofia Croydon
99 Maroondah Hwy, Croydon

No comments:

Post a Comment